Chamber Music Roundup
Intensive Quartet Workshop
May 21-25, 2018
Director: Dr. Misha Galaganov
The Chamber Music Roundup – Intensive Quartet Workshop provides an opportunity for Advanced Students to experience rehearsing and performing on a professional level alongside leading chamber music artists. This prepares participants for intense rehearsal and concert schedule in a professional setting.
- There are only 12 spots for students in the Intensive Quartet Workshop: 6 for violin, 3 for viola, and 3 for cello.
- 4 faculty (2 violinists, 1 violist, and 1 cellist), will combine for a total of 16 performers in the Chamber Music Roundup Intensive Quartet Workshop.
Admission to the Intensive Quartet Workshop is by audition only. Please see audition and registration information below.
The Chamber Music Roundup Festival and Chamber Music Roundup Intensive Quartet Workshop are held at Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas.
Registered observers will be able to attend all rehearsals, master classes, and the final performance. There is no restriction on the number of observers for the Workshop.
Students will work together with faculty artists, as colleagues, in rehearsals and performances.
- Two Ensembles: To get an opportunity to work with two faculty artists, each student will play in two different ensembles, one rehearsing in the morning, and the other in the afternoon. Students are notified about their specific pieces in advance and are expected to arrive to the festival with their parts fully prepared.
- Solo Masterclasses: there will be 4 solo master classes, including 2 violin classes and 1 each viola and cello. Each student will get a chance to perform in a class.
- William Fedkenheuer, violin (Miro Quartet)
- Rachel Shapiro, violin (Aeolus Quartet)
- James Dunham, viola (Rice University; formerly, Cleveland Quartet)
- Gregory Beaver, cello (Chiara Quartet)
Intensive Workshop Schedule
The workshop will begin with an introductory meeting at 9:00 am, Monday, May 21, 2018 and will conclude after the participants’ recital on Friday, May 25 at 7:00 pm.
- Morning rehearsals 10:30 am to 12:30 pm: Group 1 on Monday and Wednesday; Group 2 on Tuesday and Thursday
- Master classes 2 – 3:30 pm in PepsiCo Recital Hall: Violin classes on Monday and Wednesday, cello class on Tuesday, viola class on Thursday
- Afternoon rehearsals 4 – 6 pm: Group 1 on Tuesday and Thursday; Group 2 on Monday and Wednesday
- Dress rehearsal on Friday 9 – 12 pm in PepsiCo Recital Hall: groups 1 and 2, eight music selections total
The workshop will culminate on Friday, May 25 at 7:00 pm. Attendance is free for registered observers and attendees with a TCU ID.
The concert will be video recorded and broadcast live from PepsiCo Recital Hall at TCU.
Tuition and Fees
- A non-refundable application fee of $100 will be deducted from the tuition total if a candidate is accepted to the program.
- The remaining balance of $500 will be expected to be paid by March 1.
- A limited number of small scholarships may be available.
Audition Information and Registration
- Deadline to submit recordings and applications: February 1, 2018
- Links to secure YouTube video recordings should be emailed to Dr. Misha Galaganov at email@example.com.
- Audition Repertoire for all instruments:
1) A movement of a concerto
2) A movement from a solo work by Bach
(*Prices are based on 2017 and will be updated when available)
Bed with linens: $37
Double- Meals Included
Bed with linens: $42
Bed with linens: $65
Single- Meals Included
Bed with linens: $48