Star Wars and the Music of John Williams
A long time ago on a piano far, far away… John Williams created some of the most memorable film music ever written. Explore the music from all nine Star Wars films and learn to recognize the themes for the different characters, become familiar with the instruments heard in the symphony orchestra, develop active listening skills, and examine how music contributes to the overall movie-watching experience.
July 13-17, 2020
10:00 – 11:30 am
Presented by Dr. Paul Cortese
Appropriate for ages 12 and older
Enrollment Limit: 12 participants per session*
Participation requires a reliable internet connection and Zoom installed on a laptop or desktop computer.
*Additional sessions may be offered during the summer to meet enrollment demand
- Class Introduction
- John Williams Biography
- Musical Themes from the First Trilogy
- What does a Conductor do?
- Instruments of the Symphony Orchestra
- Musical Themes from the Prequels
- Aaron Copland and American Music
- Underscore versus Source Music
- Musical Themes from the Third Trilogy
- What does a Composer do?
- Star Wars Incidental Music
- ‘Name That Tune’ Contest
- Participant Presentations
- Class Wrap Up
And much more!
For more information contact:
Dr. Paul Cortese – firstname.lastname@example.org